[Corpora-List] Keyness across Texts

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Jul 9 14:08:53 UTC 2007

Ute Römer wrote:
> Dear Duncan,
>
> You may want to check Mike Scott's and Christopher Tribble's book
> /Textual Patterns/ (Benjamins, 2006, browsable at
> http://site.ebrary.com/pub/benjamins/Doc?isbn=9789027222930) which
> contains some very useful chapters on keyness and aboutness (chs. 4 and
> 5 if I remember correctly) and discusses different ways of identifying
> keywords in texts and corpora, and of interpreting the search output.

I'd love to read this book, but alas Mr Benjamins has chosen to provide
access to it only via some bizarro proprietary closed browser software
which isn't available on my computer. Whatever happened to the idea of
making stuff *accessible* over the World Wide Web? I find it really
depressing that people in the research community continue to fall for
this kind of shameless protectionism...

OK, rant over. Maybe I'll just have to pop into Blackwells...