[Corpora-List] Keyness across Texts

David Graff graff at ldc.upenn.edu
Mon Jul 9 14:37:05 UTC 2007

nix at semiotek.org said:
> It must be a very special marque you drive - it even works fine in
> Safari on a Mac!

Browser behavior here seems to depend on your personal usage history.
Safari on my mac reported:

 The page "John Benjamins: View - Textual Patterns : Key Words and Corpus
 Analysis in Language Education" has content of MIME type "application/
 x-edf", but you don't have a plug-in installed for this MIME type.  A
 plug-in should be available on this page:

  http://site.ebrary.com/pub/benjamins/Download?noplugin=1

Meanwhile, my Firefox browser (2.0.0.4, also on the mac) simply
displayed an empty page -- no content or messages -- and reported
"Done" for the original content url.  (That's "graceful degradation"
for you!)

It seems we need to cope with at least two different "cutting edges" in
web development: marketing-oriented vs. sharing-oriented.  I suppose
it's not surprising that different browser developers (e.g. Safari vs.
Firefox) might go different directions when choosing to approach one of
those edges in preference to the other.

	Dave Graff