[Corpora-List] Keyness across Texts

Mike Scott mike at lexically.net
Mon Jul 9 15:49:29 UTC 2007

Dear Duncan

NLP researchers prefer a statistic based on the "document-frequency" of
a term as opposed to its "corpus frequency". When I originally built a
keywords procedure for WordSmith, however, I used "corpus frequency".
(If we take a hypothetical example of a text about elephants, the idea
is to compare the frequency of the term elephant in that text and
compare it not with the number of documents in the corpus which contain
that term whether once or more often, but with the total accumulated
frequency in the reference corpus of that term.)
Since WordSmith 4, however, there has been the possibility of knowing
each key-word's document frequency (the header column of the word-list
from which it is derived calls this "Texts"), so I could incorporate a
chance for users a) to see this for each KW, b) to sort on it.

I doubt whether the current keyness multiplied by the Texts column
("consistency" as I otherwise call it, and Nation calls it "range")
would be useful though; I would think it better to consider keyness as a
feature of the term in that sub-corpus or single text, with the chance
to filter or re-sort according to consistency. For example as you know I
find IT and DO to be key in certain Shakespeare texts. They are both
extremely consistent terms. The keyness as a number is not a very good
indicator since terms which are rare in the language come out more key
than those which are more frequent. I regard it more like a threshold.
If it gets over, it's key. Then we can secondarily sort eg.
alphabetically. by consistency, by frequency in the sub-corpus or text, etc.

Cheers -- Mike

--
Mike Scott

***
If you publish research which uses WordSmith, do let me know so I can include it at
http://www.lexically.net/wordsmith/corpus_linguistics_links/papers_using_wordsmith.htm
***
School of English
University of Liverpool