[Corpora-List] Chomsky and computationnel linguistics

John A Goldsmith goldsmith at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 11 08:21:12 UTC 2007

Mike, I pretty much agree with you, but I think it's worth reflecting on
the proposition that not all data is alike, and some is more equal than
others. In the case of generative syntax, as it's been done over the
last nearly 50 years, most of the data that's been used, I would guess,
has been about phenomena where there would have been no problem in
finding examples in real corpora, and a search for examples in real
corpora might have suggested new insights. In a relatively small number
of areas---I label these "the parasitic gaps phenomena" in my
mind---examples are so rare that corpus search may give one too poor a
harvest, so if one thinks of these phenomena as having an importance
that offsets their rarity in data,  one is forced to go the intuition
route.

What would you say to the following credo for syntacticians: using one's
one native speaker intuitions is a useful heuristic for developing
hypotheses, but these judgments should be used only as a last resort as
the basis for a serious argument (in a publication, thesis, etc.). Since
science consists both of finding elegant generalizations and showing
that they correspond well to the facts rather than what we would like
the facts to be, the linguist is obliged to submit his/her theories to
the best tests currently available. In the  relatively rare case where
the issue generates only hypotheses that are difficult to test in data
that has a reality beyond the linguistic imagination of the linguist,
that lack of empirical grounding should be established and acknowledged.

I think there are serious objections to this with regard to phonology
and morphology, so I expect some with regard to syntax as well. But I
think some good arguments can be made for the position I sketched --

best,
John Goldsmith