[Corpora-List] Chomsky and computational linguistics

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Sat Jul 28 15:17:46 UTC 2007

I've tried to prevent myself from replying to this, but as you can see,
I've failed...

Terry wrote:
> You seem to be saying that because one physicist has failed, all physicists
> should give up.

Re-read.  I did not say what physicists should do.  I did draw an
analogy between linguists and physicists, but it was intended to go in
the opposite direction: I'm saying that just as physicists haven't given
up on a GUT, there's no reason to think linguists ought to give up on
generative linguistics.

> Must we wait until Chomsky dies before declaring his project a
> failure?

There are a lot of us generative linguists around who think that Chomsky
isn't a failure, even if our theory isn't exactly the same as his.  In
fact, I would go so far as to say that linguistics (particularly syntax)
is light years ahead of where it would be if it weren't for Chomsky.
Not everyone on this list would agree with that, of course.*

(Counting myself as a generative linguist is a bit of a stretch, since I
haven't published or even done anything in that field in years; most of
my work has been in field linguistics or computational linguistics.  But
I am very much in sympathy with the generative approach, and with the
central idea, which I take to be an innate 'universal grammar'.  See
also my signature...)
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"Theorists...have merely to lock themselves in a room
	with a blackboard and coffee maker to conduct their business."
	--Bruce A. Schumm, Deep Down Things

*Hyperbole :-)