[Corpora-List] Chomsky and computationnel linguistics

Michael Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Jun 28 14:16:18 UTC 2007

Hanane Mahjoubi wrote:
> In the field of computationnel linguistics, i'm working about dialogues
> using the transformationnel theory of Chomsky

To add to Ramesh Krishnamurthy's reply, I'm a bit puzzled about what
transformational theory has to do with dialogs, since Chomsky has also
steered clear of anything to do with discourse linguistics.  Are you
hoping to apply transformations to an underlying structure in text
generation?  What kind of transformational grammar?  There's a vast range,
beginning with Syntactic Structures in 1957 (or before, but I trust you
would not go back that far) and continuing up through Minimimalism today,
with lots of "stopping points" in between.

   Mike Maxwell
   CASL/ U MD