[Corpora-List] Obituary: John McH. Sinclair

Dan Tufis tufis at racai.ro
Thu Mar 15 14:41:59 UTC 2007

This is shocking, a terrible loss. John was one of the most outstanding
scholars I ever met, with a huge impact on what is nowadays the corpus
linguistics. He was a fascinating speaker, a living encyclopaedia and an
unparalleled story teller. His wonderful sense of humour was rivalled only
by his generosity. I was one of the privileged who worked with him during
the TELRI project which he turned into a large family and a friendly
academic community. Many colleagues from the CEE countries started their
international careers in TELRI, under the patronage of John and, several of
them are now well established scientists. John helped us tremendously and he
will be always in our hearts since the seeds he spread and the tracks he
left will never be forgotten.
Our deepest sympathy and condolences to Elena and children.
Dan Tufis