[Corpora-List] Query: fiction dialogue vs. conversation

Karin Axelsson karin.axelsson at eng.gu.se
Fri Oct 5 07:22:32 UTC 2007

Dear Corpora-List members,

I wonder if there are any corpus-based studies of words/phrases/
structures comparing their frequency (and/or use) in fiction dialogue
(=direct speech) to that in spoken conversation. I'm not interested
in comparisons looking at whole fiction texts, as many words/phrases/
structures may have very different frequencies within and outside
dialogue in fiction.

Furthermore, are there any corpus-based studies comparing words/
phrases/structures within and outside dialogue in the same fiction
texts?

My own research is primarily on fiction dialogue and conversation in
English, but I'm interested in such studies also in other languages,
as the methodological problems would probably be similar.

I'm aware that Oostdijk and de Haan initiated some research within
this field in the 90s, but after publishing some articles calling for
further research they left the topic for other kinds of research.

Best regards,
Karin Axelsson

--
Karin Axelsson, PhD student