[Corpora-List] mailing address parser

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 18:34:28 UTC 2007

Nate,

Speaking as someone who wrote one of these at MapQuest, I can tell you
that it's entirely possible to do.

NDAs limit what I can tell you about the specific approach, but
without releasing any industrial secrets I can certainly tell you that
if you're not offended by writing lots of special-case rules, it's not
difficult to do.  It will take you longer to put together a thorough
set of test cases than it will to write the code, but once you've put
together a good set of test cases, it will probably be pretty obvious
to you what your code needs to do.

Kev

On 10/15/07, Nate Blaylock <nblaylock at ihmc.us> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a free (as in gratis) free-form mailing address parser
> -- i.e., something which will take a free-form address like:
>    123 Maple St. #1025
>    Springfield, IL  12345
>
> and return the constituent parts:
>   Street: Maple St.; House number: 123; Apartment number: 1025 City:
> Springfield; State: IL; Zipcode: 12345
>
> Something that worked for any international address would be great, but
> I am most interested in coverage of US addresses.
>
> thanks,
>
> nate

K. B. Cohen
Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead
Center for Computational Pharmacology
303-724-7563 (office) 303-916-2417 (cell) 303-377-9194 (home)
http://compbio.uchsc.edu/Hunter_lab/Cohen