[Corpora-List] What about Maltese texts in Latin letters?

Michael Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Oct 18 15:59:27 UTC 2007

> Not so much a case of more as such, but rather more of the same - I
> know the Maltese alphabet quite well (I have lived on the island) but
> I really want to know if the extra letters are formally described as
> part of a Latin script, albeit modified.

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me will answer, so consider
this as much of a question as an answer.

I believe the term 'Latin script' refers to any writing system which uses
more or less the letters that the Latin language was written with.  The
"more or less" qualification is important, however: lots of languages that
use a Latin script have added diacritics, such as accents (Spanish,
French, German) or even distinct letters (the German es-zzet, the Azeri
schwa symbol).  Indeed the IPA is usually considered a Latin script, I
believe.

The other term I've heard used is 'Roman script'.  I think it is
synonymous with 'Latin script', but would be happy to be corrected.  (And
there's a Wikipedia article on the 'Latin alphabet' which seems to
conflate issues of script and alphabet.)

  Mike Maxwell
  CASL/ U MD