[Corpora-List] German morphological analysis

Jan Strunk strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Oct 24 19:27:20 UTC 2007

Hello!

We are searching for a robust and fast morphological
analyzer for German for a project on the use of bare nouns without
a determiner that we are currently doing at the University of Bochum.

We would like to use this system to tell whether a given
noun in a given context is plural or singular.

The tool should ideally have the following characteristics:
- able to cope with a lot of text in a reasonable time
   (we want to analyze whole year-volumes of newspaper text)
- able to cope with a lot of unknown words (often compounds)
- deterministic in the sense that it does indicate the most likely
   number and not only tells us that a noun could be both singular or
   plural.

We already know about Morphy and the DURMLemmatizer. But
both are not ideal for our purposes. So we would be very grateful
to hear about other tools we could possibly use.

Thank you very much!

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.rub.de

Sprachwissenschaftliches Institut