[Corpora-List] help computing mutual information with WS

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 25 17:19:28 UTC 2007

Dear List Members,

  I am using Wordsmith in an attempt to calculate an MI score for two words. Below are the instructions. I have three  questions.  1) where the heck is  ,?  (I have the word list and can't seem to  find this icon anywhere) 2) apparently another way to do this through the settings on the control panel. I tried this by writing in the name of the file given on the word list and after setting up the perimeters clicked on okay,  but nothing seems to be happening. Do I need to close down the word list first, and if so,is there a particular folder in which it should be saved?

  One other question.  Do you know if this can be done  with a concordance file as well ?

  In WordList
  To compute Mutual Information (MI) you need a WordList Index. Call up the alphabetical view of the list.
  When you press , you can choose whether to compute MI for selected (highlighted) entries, for all entries, or for those between two initial characters e.g. between A and D.
  If you wish to select only a few items for MI calculation, you can mark them first (with ).

  Kindest regards from Houston,
  Linda