[Corpora-List] little favour

Santos Diana Diana.Santos at sintef.no
Sun Sep 9 14:18:05 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I think this is a very interesting question: what is the relationship
between corpus data (whose use Ramesh so well defended to give an
appropriate description of an English verb) and the (hypothesized poor)
correlation with made-up sentences from corpus linguists, which Geoffrey
Sampson and Ulf Magnusson consider such an interesting question.

Elicited made-up sentences are probably unrepeatable and members of
corpora-list, by being corpus linguists (and therefore linguists) may be
somehow suspect as average English speakers, so I still side with
Ramesh's initial posting that it is puzzling why one would want to
gather this data in the first place.

I am absolutely for using our own language skills and introspection to
interpret corpus data. However, in this particular case, I am quite
puzzled to see the two kinds of data above compared, and what points
this comparison might illuminate.

If the resulting descriptions are widely different, should that surprise
us? Even assuming that we are talking about the same number of speakers
in the BNC and those who answered the "little favour" (probably not),
are in any sense the two activities comparable?

I don't think so. In BNC, they are using the verb "slip" in normal
communication; in the "little favour" case, they are illustrating two
kinds of usage of "slip" with 3 sentences each...

So I am curious to hear what kind of arguments can be involved here;
which I am obviously missing...

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Diana