[Corpora-List] little favour

Santos Diana Diana.Santos at sintef.no
Sun Sep 9 15:51:15 UTC 2007

I meant that, if you are asked to come up with 6 made-up sentences
illustrating the verb slip one year after, you are going to come up with
6 different examples. (I have no proof of this, though :-) I suggest
that this is tried empirically...)

So, you cannot replicate your experiment and get the same sentences,
while if you ask that of a corpus you (or another researcher) would get
the same answer. I tried to point out this as one advantage of having
corpora and not relying on made-up sentences by a (quite) unknown
population.

Of course, I am aware that once you _collected_ those 6 sentences from
many people and create a corpus of made-up sentences, then you fix them
and can "repeat"/"replicate" your experiments.

But while one knows that considerable work has been put in designing the
BNC (and one knows what kinds of speakers and what kinds of texts it
represents) -- and so you might think of creating a new/similar BNC
later -- it is hard to know what kind of mood and what kind of person
answered those 6 sentences, which is going to make it very unlikely that
you will be able to replicate this new "corpus".

This is what I meant by the sentence below, sorry for the bad English.
Diana