[Corpora-List] little favour

Yorick Wilks yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Sun Sep 9 16:36:49 UTC 2007

Im sorry to get into this, but I dont think this reasoning makes very
clear sense.
What you describe are not experiments, surely? You COULD conduct an
experiment that asked a number
of people to make up sentences (using, say, "slip" as a verb) and you
could then ask "do any of the subjects make up the same
sentence?" That would be an experiment, but not an interesting one,
and it is surely not the issue here at all. If you
look in a corpus for sentences with that same criterion, then they,
again, may or may not be identical--they will almost certainly not be
but that is again irrelevant to the issue--but merely seeking
sentences, under any description, is again not an experiment.

The issue HERE is about whether or not spontaneous sentences that
serve a natural purpose , whatever it is, and which form a corpus,
are data OF THE SAME SORT
as sentences made up to serve the goal of being data--that surely is
the question, and it has nothing to do with whether the members of
the sets differ or not,
nor with any notion of experiment or replicability. Ramesh plainly
thinks they are not of the same sort, while others think they are, or
can be, or the difference doesnt matter
too much for what they want to do (Ulf seems to be in that group).
But surely THAT is the issue.
Sorry to sound so testy and dogmatic--it's been a slow day.
Yorick Wilks