[Corpora-List] Is a complete grammar possible (beyond thecorpus itself)?

Geoffrey Sampson grs2 at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Sep 10 09:59:48 UTC 2007

I was interested in John Sowa's comment that people in 1970 might have
seen NLs as formal systems, "but nobody seriously believes it today".  I
wonder if that is really so?  I'm sure no-one calling himself or herself
a corpus linguist believes it, but we are still probably a minority of
all linguists interested in grammar.  My impression is that there remain
a great number of people out there who would describe themselves as
generative linguists and who do assume that NLs are formal systems
defined by finite sets of clearcut rules -- this assumption might be
something that makes many of them feel vaguely uncomfortable so that
they avoid thinking about it too deeply, as a clergyman might repress
doubts about the Virgin Birth or the like, but that is very different
from consciously rejecting the idea.  Am I out of date in supposing that
a large proportion of linguists remain generativists in that sense?

Geoffrey Sampson

     Prof. Geoffrey Sampson  MA PhD MBCS CITP FHEA

     author of "The 'Language Instinct' Debate"

     Department of Informatics, University of Sussex
     Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QJ, England

     www.grsampson.net     +44 1273 678525