[Corpora-List] ad-hoc generalization and meaning

Yorick Wilks Yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Thu Sep 13 13:52:40 UTC 2007

Like many bystanders, Ive been the resisting the temptation to join
in this fight, with its wonderful mix of the odd and the very familiar.
BUT....does the following help at all?

Some people use "syntax" and "grammar" to mean almost the same thing
and some dont. People who like
Wittgenstein (several players here, myself included) tend to use
"grammar" in the way he did, a way in which it is fine to say that
the "support" sentences have the
same syntactic-pattern but different grammars. There is an old
tradition of seeing things this way and it never totally goes away.
In the neolithic period of NLP, Schank and I used to write about
getting to semantic structures without a syntactic level of analysis,
and we used a lot of this sort of rhetoric and even similar examples.
Burton in 1977 wrote Semantic Grammar
(http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1045283.1045290); there is the
late Karen Sparck Jones entry in the Ai tools catalogue under this
same title (http://aicat.inf.ed.ac.uk/entry.php?id=554) and even now
at Microsoft research work goes on using that phrase (http://
research.microsoft.com/research/srg/grammar.aspx). The tradition has
strong relations too to what Fillmore has called "Frame semantics"
since 1976 (http://framenet.icsi.berkeley.edu/papers/crj_cjf2000.pdf)
and to the way lexicographers like Hanks look at how meanings arise
from sets of corpus examples (http://www.patrickhanks.com/). And, of
course, Beth Levin has come up with strong claims about the
relationship of the syntax and semantics of verbs (http://
linguistlist.org/issues/4/4-1102.html) and  , whether or not you
accept those claims, they must be considered here. So, there's lots
of stuff out there on this way of doing things (as John Sowa keeps
saying, if I read him right) and were not really adding much here by
just chucking more examples at each other.

Rob--I dont get your last bit:
> Failure to treat the syntax of "supported" on an ad-hoc basis in
> this way means you have no way of capturing the information that,
> in a grammar of English, "supported" = "accompanied" but also
> "supported" != "accompanied". That means you will be unable to
> capture detailed syntactic restrictions which prevent you from
> saying "slightly odd" things like "Tom accompanied his tomato plant
> to the garden (where he planted it.)"
Surely, thats not the contrast you want--it's rather that "I
accompanied the man with a stick" has exactly the syntactic pattern
of the first (support-tomato) example l, but that means nothing at
all --their joint class membership there leads to NOTHING---because
of the quite different "semantic grammars" of the concepts.
Best
Yorick Wilks