[Corpora-List] ad-hoc generalization and meaning

Yorick Wilks Yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 09:43:43 UTC 2007

Rob
None of this matters much for most of us who read this list, but I
think your reference from 1950 is not quite right, or rather its a
non-standard way of putting it:
A Remark Concerning Decidability of Complete Theories, Antoni
Janiczak, The Journal of Symbolic Logic, Vol. 15, No. 4 (Dec., 1950),
pp. 277-279:

"A formalized theory is called complete if for each sentence
expressible in this theory either the sentence itself or its negation
is provable."

Completeness normally (see e.g. Wikipedia) means that for every
sentence S expressible in a language either S or ~S is derivable from
the associated axioms, and that all sentences so derived are true
(i.e. theorems). That is not the same at all as the system/set/
language being decidable--i.e. that for any S there is an effective
procedure for determining whether or not it is derivable. "provable"
in that quote fudges this issue. For some reason I dont follow you
seem to want to conflate completeness and decidabilty---in general
you cant do that even though there are fudges round completeness like
"semidecidable". The proof of this is that are systems which are
complete but not decidable (i.e. arithmetic) as well as systems
decidable but not complete--some roccoco bits of modern algebra...
Yorick