[Corpora-List] corpus linguistics

Charles Meyer meyer at cs.umb.edu
Fri Sep 14 16:15:16 UTC 2007

How are people defining corpus linguistics? For me, corpus linguistics has
two general strands: linguists who want to base descriptions of language on
real data for purposes of analysis, theory construction, teaching, etc.; and
NLP people with more computationally-based interests. If people have a
broader conception of corpus linguistics, I'd be interested in hearing what
they have to say.

Frankly, I see no relevancy of generative grammar to corpus linguistics. I
heard Chomsky speak a couple of years ago and comment that people who
analyze corpora were engaging in the equivalent of pre-Galilean physics. He
also stated that real data was so noisy that it should basically be ignored.
How does an individual who does corpus-based research meaningfully engage
with someone who holds these views? Granted, other generativists have
different views, but in general, data collection has played at best a
marginal role in generative grammar. I would argue that there are other
theories more relevant to the interests of corpus linguists ( e.g.
functional grammar or cognitive grammar). Of course, relevancy is in the
eyes of the beholder, and I suspect many who read this post will vigorously
disagree with me. But I thought the discussion of generative grammar reached
the point of diminishing returns long before it ended.

Finally, is it healthy for a list to have a small number of people
exchanging emails on a topic for quite a lengthy period of time? I did not
interpret Antoinette Renouf's message as an attempt to stifle discussion,
but as a request to follow netiquette.

Charles Meyer, Applied Linguistics, University of Massachusetts Boston