[Corpora-List] Debates

Karo Moilanen karomoilanen at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 20:31:16 UTC 2007

Dear Linda,

>>I would much rather have that choice than have >>members feel they must curtail or censor their >>discussions and debates.

I agree 100% with what you said.

Kind regards,

Karo Moilanen

Wolfson College
University of Oxford

Linda Bawcom <linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net> wrote: Dear Antoinette and list members,

  Perhaps the problem (although it’s not really a problem, more of an observation) is that we have members such as myself (or perhaps only myself) who are not computational linguists nor have a strong background in logical semantics (or Chomsky) and thus find the discussions in this areas, at times, somewhat difficult to follow, or dare I say it, of no interest at all.

  Having stated that, I do sometimes  find the discussions in these areas enlightening and occasionally (when I do understand some small part) food for thought. In fact, I have often been able to elicit the help of those in the above mentioned fields for my doctoral thesis. If it weren’t for these discussions, then I would never have had the opportunity of ‘meeting’ them and getting the help I needed.

  Admittedly, I sometimes feel there comes a moment when all sides need to agree to disagree and e-mail each other privately. However, when I am no longer interested or don’t have the time to follow a thread, I simply delete the e-mail when I see the subject  line.  I would much rather have that choice than have members feel they must curtail or censor their discussions and debates.

  Kindest regards,
  Linda Bawcom