[Corpora-List] FW: Gender differences in language

Terry tmorpheme at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 2 00:59:05 UTC 2008

Albretch Mueller wrote: "I can not back my statements with citations and
undeniably clear facts, but "motor skills" and the -capacity- to talk may be
localized, but I don't think there are specially constructed, pre-built
neuron paths for, say, gender, adjectives and past tense in our brains."

Might be worth taking a look at this paper, if it is available to you:

Indefrey, P., & Levelt, W.J.M. (2000). The neural correlates of language
production. In M.Gazzaniga (Ed.), The new cognitive neurosciences (2nd ed.)
(pp. 845-865). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
Abstract
This chapter reviews the findings of 58 word production experiments using
different tasks and neuroimaging techniques. The reported cerebral
activation sites are coded in a common anatomic reference system. Based on a
functional model of language production, the different word production tasks
are analyzed in terms of their processing components. This approach allows a
distinction between the core process of word production and preceding
taks-specific processes (lead-in processes) such as visual or auditory
stimulus recognition. The core process of word production is subserved by a
left-lateralized perisylvian/thalamic language production network. Within
this network there seems to be functional specialization for the processing
stages of word production. In addition, this chapter includes a discussion
of the available evidence on syntactic production, self-monitoring, and the
time course of word production.

Terry