[Corpora-List] context-DEPENDENT grammar simulator.

Torbjörn Lager torbjorn.lager at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 17:34:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Rob Malouf <rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu> wrote:
> > Rob Malouf wrote:
>  I think it should be fairly easy to write an HPSG grammar for the
>  a^nb^nc^n language using subcat lists [notice the hedges... meaning I
>  haven't actually done it].

I just did it, but in Definite Clause Grammar (DCG):

s --> a(N), b(N), c(N).

a(0) --> "".
a(s(N)) --> [a], a(N).

b(0) --> "".
b(s(N)) --> [b], b(N).

c(0) --> "".
c(s(N)) --> [c], c(N).

?- s(S,[]).
S = [] ;
S = [a, b, c] ;
S = [a, a, b, b, c, c] ;
S = [a, a, a, b, b, b, c, c, c] ;

So that's a context sensitive _language_. I would hesitate to call the
DCG a context sensitive _grammar_ though. As far as I remember,  a
context sensitive grammar has to have a particular form, with rules
allowing more than one symbol on the left hand side.

Regards,
Torbjörn