[Corpora-List] Data-Driven Learning materials

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 16:02:04 UTC 2008

I very much agree with Gill's observations. Looking what is freely
available on the web is not a good way to judge the uptake or range of
DDL materials. As Gill points out, most DDL resources and courses are
only deployed locally.

To get something useful out on the web, you need to sort out the
following (to name but a few):
- getting it on a web server
- basing it on web technologies
- get it to work with the available back end technologies on your server
- make sure that it is accessible and works with a variety of browsers
- make sure it is robust and bug-free
- support by the web server's sysadmin
- the exercises need to be suitable for unsupervised work (which
requires a lot more documentation, explanation, hand-holding, controlled
revealing of results, tips and hints, etc)
- be prepared to support users, or leave them in the lurch if they hit snags
- ensure that you are not getting into any legal or ethical difficulties
if you publish any of the the materials (in short, you're not likely to
be allowed to put that corpus online...)

So getting your course materials to work on your students' PCs is one
thing, putting them on the web may involve a lot of additional challenges.

Obviously there are huge potential advantages to putting materials on
the web, but we shouldn't be surprised that not everyone does it.

Martin

Martin Wynne
Research Technologies Service &
Oxford e-Research Centre