[Corpora-List] Criteria for an ESP Vocabulary List

True Friend true.friend2004 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 05:41:52 UTC 2008

Hi
I am working on a project of ESP. I have to generate vocabulary lists. What
is the best criteria to generate vocabulary list? Frequency or the Range
(occurance in number of files in corpus, or how wide the word is used in
corpus)? Keyword generators work on the basis of frequency i.e. antconc and
wordsmith tools etc. They generate a list by comparing with reference corpus
a list of words having more frequency in specialized corpus and less in
reference corpus. Frequency basis is fine but Range has its importance i.e.
if a word is most frequent but used only in 10 files is less important then
a less frequent word found in more files. So what are your suggestions.
Personally I'll prefer frequency because there is no software available to
generate keywords on the basis of Range or Ranking, or to arrange the words
from a list on the basis of their Range (i.e. more range will have number 1
and so on).
Regards
--
محمد شاکر عزیز