[Corpora-List] English pronunciation dictionary

David Ayre dave at ayre.ca
Fri Apr 25 15:41:06 UTC 2008

Hi Madiha,

The freetts project has a Java class which uses a simple state machine
mechanism based on a datafile that creates pronunciations for OOV
words using the CMU format.  The class is easy to run standalone
outside the freetts project using the datafile.... the logic is based
on a paper which is referenced in the Java class docs, not sure of the
details.

I'm using it for OOV that fall outside the standard CMU pronunciation
dictionary... and it works fairly well.

http://freetts.sourceforge.net/javadoc/com/sun/speech/freetts/lexicon/LetterToSoundImpl.html

Hope this helps.

On 24-Apr-08, at 10:56 PM, Madiha Ijaz wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> couple of days back i put a query regarding transcribing English
> text into Urdu and in response received some worthwhile suggestions.
> the one on which i am working right now makes use of CMU
> pronunciation dictionary and it is working fine but OOV still remain
> a problem. one possible solution is to train neural nets or HMM on
> CMU pronunciation dictionary which later on can be used to predict
> pronunciation of  unknown words. so i wanted to know if any related
> exercise has been done in this regard or not?
>
> secondly does any pronunciation dictionary (English) exist that
> provides syllabified word transcription instead of just providing
> transcription or any tool that syllabifies English text?
>
> regards
> Madiha

David Ayre
dave at ayre.ca