[Corpora-List] Corpus Development

Bob Parks bobp at clarityconnect.com
Mon Apr 28 14:22:05 UTC 2008

Serge and Mark,
I'd be interested in hearing more about your
views on the differences - pro and con - between
relational DB architecture and full text DB
architectures.  Both of these must also deal take
into account the characteristics of different
programming languages.  And both approaches tie
into different strategies for interacting with
users - from creation of data/content to query
strategies.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Bob

>Mark,
>
>Le Sunday, April 27, 2008 6:44 PM [GMT+1=CET],
>Mark Davies <Mark_Davies at byu.edu> a écrit :
>>  Most really large corpora that I'm aware of do use a relational
>>  database architecture, including systems like IMS Corpus Workbench.
>
>The IMS Corpus Workbench software's architecture is based on
>specific indexing technics related to textual data processing and querying.
>Those techniques where described in the book :
>"Managing GigabytesCompressing and Indexing Documents and Images"
>De Ian H. Witten, Alistair Moffat, Timothy C. Bell, 1999, Morgan Kaufmann.
>No RDBMS system or architecture the-like was used and this can
>be seen from the source : http://cwb.sourceforge.net/
>
>Best,
>Serge

*  The best dictionary and integrated thesaurus
on the web: http://www.wordsmyth.net
*  Robert Parks - Wordsmyth - (607) 272-2190
* "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."  (LW)
* "Philosophers have only interpreted the world.
The point, however, is to change it." (KM)
*  Community grows as we communicate, honing our
words till their meanings tap the rich voice of
our full human potential.