[Corpora-List] Written Essay Corpus (graded?): now we needother 'native' varieties too

Ute Römer uroemer at umich.edu
Tue Apr 29 14:55:57 UTC 2008

Dear Charles, Scott, and others,

>The UK assignments will be a great source of information about the
differences in British and American >writing in a single genre. Now we just
need a similar American one (and an Australian, Canadian, etc....)

As for student academic writing in an American context, MICUSP (the Michigan
Corpus of Upper-level Student Papers, www.micusp.org) may be what you are
looking for. MICUSP is a collection of A(andA-)graded writing samples
(target size 1.6 million words) by final-year undergraduate and first to
final year graduate students in select departments at the university of
Michigan. Unfortunately, the corpus is not ready to be distributed yet since
we are still in the process of collecting and encoding student papers. We
will probably only be able to release MICUSP in about a year's time. I will
certainly keep the Corpora community informed about how the project develops
and when MICUSP is going to be released.

With best wishes from Ann Arbor,
Ute

Dr. Ute Römer
Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit
English Language Institute
University of Michigan
Email:  <mailto:uroemer at umich.edu> uroemer at umich.edu
Phone: +1 734 763 7133