[Corpora-List] Boot camp for corpus linguistics?

Geoffrey Williams geoffrey.williams at univ-ubs.fr
Tue Apr 29 14:47:17 UTC 2008

Can't help with a boot camp, but the New Trends seminar would be a nice starting
point: http://www.ugr.es/local/newtrends/callpapers.php.

For reading lists, you are sure to get a large number of recommended books as
there are a number of different approaches about. However, my favourite
introduction is through John Sinclair's 1991 book.

Sinclair J. 1991. Corpus, Concordance, Collocation. Oxford : Oxford University
Press.
No one has more clearly described the problem of looking at language in an
inductive manner through corpora. I'd then recommend 'Trust the Text', a
collection of papers by John Sinclair (Routledge 2004).

Other stimulating reads include:

Tognini Bonelli E. 2001. Corpus Linguistics at Work. Benjamins.
Kennedy G. 1998. An introduction to corpus linguistics. Longman
Hunston S. 2002. Corpora  in Applied Linguistics. CUP.
Sampson G. & McCarthy D. eds. 2004. Corpus linguistics: readings in a widening
discipline. Continuum.

That ought to get you off to a good start. You could then go to the Corpus
Linguistics conference in Birmingham to meet people.

Hope this helps

Best

Geoffrey

--