[Corpora-List] SCANNED TEXTS ARE VALID FOR CORPORA PURPOSES?

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 09:11:05 UTC 2008

The method Dan outlines is fine for its usual application -- in for
example the searching through thousands of pages of old newspapers for
references to some politician or some historically significant phrase it
really doesn't matter if you miss a few because the OCR was less than
brilliant.  The theoretical problem I have with this approach is the
simple observation that OCR errors are not random: some letters are
harder to distinguish than others, and some misreadings are more
frequent than others. This matters if you are trying to build a sound
statistical model of token frequencies in the original source.  To make
matters even more confusing, these facts are well known to the
manufacturers of good OCR systems, so their software will incorporate
statistical procedures to "enhance" the results according to
expectations, derived from standardised corpora. Which may be bad news
for those who are planning to produce such models...