[Corpora-List] Phonetic corpora as the basis for distances

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Tue Aug 5 16:00:47 UTC 2008

Dear Yuri,

I'm sorry that I don't know where you might publish your article.
But there are on-line journals in various fields that use standard
reviewing procedures to ensure respectability.  Since they do not
produce printed media, they are often willing to accept large
appendices with the full (or partially digested) source data.

Do any subscribers to Corpora List know of any such journals that
might be appropriate?  If not, it could be a good idea to start
one that would accept voluminous results produced from corpora.

I also had a question:  It's interesting to see that phonological
similarities could be detected after periods of separation of
many thousands of years.  But because the time periods are so long,
it's possible that the similarities may have arisen by chance.

Question:  Do you have corroborating evidence of similarities
in vocabulary or syntax that might give further evidence that
the phonological similarities are more than coincidental?

John Sowa