[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics with R' -- re Louw's endorsement

Stefan Th. Gries stgries at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 05:46:30 UTC 2008

(This is our final communication with regard to Louw's vendetta
against our bootcamp.)

- We thank those who have already signed up for the bootcamp and those
who responded to us supportively on the list and off the list
- I (STG) thank Louw - again! - for his PR, this time regarding my
upcoming plenary talk at the International Seminar "New Trends in
Corpus Linguistics for Language Teaching and Translation Studies" in
Granada, I hope to see you many of you there.
- Louw writes "The reason I did so was the apparently mistaken belief
that [...] MIGHT have left collocation out (as Sinclair perceived it)
as an oversight." - we're happy that he recognizes his mistake, accept
the apology that commonly comes with the recognition of mistakes, and
promise not to hold it against him.
- We enjoyed and have little to say about his own little philosophy of
science bootcamp, but ...
- ... we are amazed how he 'knows' that our bootcamp will be "a course
in statistics" especially since anyone reading the syllabus at
<http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/stgries/teaching/bootcamp/Bootcamp.pdf>
can recognize that statistics clearly plays a *subordinate* role in
our syllabus (though maybe a more prominent one than Louw's research
topic).

We'd like to close with a slightly altered quote of his first posting ...
#-------
[Louw's mails] look[...] exciting but [are] fatally flawed unless
[actual information about the event] is included. Be sure to get value
for money here. [...] Do not be duped by [philosophical musings].
[Read] if and only if [facts] are on offer. It is the difference
between [productive discussion of facts] and [biased denunciation].
#-------

... and rest our case. :-)

STG
--