[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics withR'-- re Louw's endorsement

Christopher Tribble ctribble at clara.co.uk
Thu Aug 14 11:26:53 UTC 2008

Dear Wolfgang,

I couldn't agree more, but couldn't have said it so well. I was this very
morning reflecting on John's chapter "New evidence, new priorities, new
attitudes" in Sinclair, J. (ed) (2004) How to use corpora in language
teaching, Amsterdam: John Benjamins.  His hypothesis #1: THE LEXICAL ITEM IS
BEST DESCRIBED MAXIMALLY, NOT MINIMALLY sum's up for me a lot of what is at
the centre of Bill Louw's concern.  It's certainly at the heart of the game
I'm interested in.

Thanks for the calm, rational contribution.

Best

Chris
--
IN LONDON TODAY