[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics withR'-- re Louw's endorsement

Hardie, Andrew a.hardie at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Aug 14 12:02:23 UTC 2008

I will make only a short contribution to this discussion --

It bears mentioning that, if - as Wolfgang Teubert suggests - Stefan
Gries considers CL to be "a bunch of methods, a toolbox", then he is far
from alone in this. As a corpus linguist I consider myself primarily a
methodologist and CL primarily a methodology, to be applied to whatever
theory seems most appropriate for the task at hand - cognitive or
typological or literary or political or whatever. Though I won't speak
for anyone else I know I am not alone in this. This tradition of
CL-as-method is, contrary to what WT suggests, equally as venerable as
the CL-as-theory. It is unnecessarily divisive to suggest that
"old-fashioned" corpus linguists must subscribe to CL-as-theory, or that
the CL-as-method view is in some way a degeneration or a hijacking of
CL-as-theory.

Although I consider myself a part of the method-oriented tradition, my
research has often been informed and inspired by researchers (too
numerous to mention, but of course including Sinclair) in the other
tradition. It has always been my impression that there is room, in what
is after all a widening field, for both conceptualisations of CL, and
that despite differing ideas of what the field is about we can co-exist
and collaborate in reasonable harmony.

best regards,

Andrew.

Andrew Hardie