[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics withR'--re Louw's endorsement

Bob Parks bobp at clarityconnect.com
Sun Aug 17 18:19:12 UTC 2008

Prof. Teubert,
I'm a social scientist, with an interest in language, but not an
advocate of either a cognitive or discourse perspective. My interest
is in how we interpret the discourse of any discipline.  Let me
preface this question with a premise: just as physics (or any natural
science) must ultimately be translated back to the language of our
ordinary world, so any socially relevant science must eventually be
interpreted in general language.  Let me begin with the last
paragraph in your email:

>Language is symbolic. A sign is what has been negotiated between
>sign users. The meaning of a sign is not my (non-symbolic)
>experience of it. Meanings are not in the head, as Hilary Putnam
>never got tired of repeating. The meaning of a sign is the way in
>which the members of a discourse community are using it. It is what
>happens in the symbolic interactions between people, not in their
>minds.
>
>This is why I find cognitive linguistics flawed.

When I ask you about what you mean by a particular word, I would be
drawing on the ordinary language sense of the word "meaning", which
does attribute meanings to people and their ideas - but also to
documents, groups (Americans mean "hat" when they say "bonnet"),
biological processes ("meaning of life"), etc.   These meanings are
listed in a dictionary, which generally doesn't make claims about the
context in which a sense is appropriately used. (Occasionally, field
labels, such as "in accounting", mark specific contexts of use).

When linguists debate the meaning of "meaning", are they asserting
there must be a "true" and "objective" meaning of "meaning"?  When
Putnam says meanings are not in the head, was he making a claim about
the true meaning of "meaning" - which might eventually come into
cultural conflict with our ordinary language sense of the word?  Let
me ask, for example, how we might protect freedom of thought if we
don't accept the notion that an idea is at some point in a person's
head. Or, perhaps that's the best defense against a libel suit: "I
didn't mean it - you, the interpreter, did". It seems the only way to
cordon off the culture from this quandary is to assert this meaning
of "meaning" is one of several possible meanings.

I worry about an educational system that would be told that the
"idea" sense of "meaning" is less true and important in our discourse
community than the other senses. Conversely, I worry about a
linguistic theory developed and championed by someone who isn't
willing to say that this interpretation of the meaning of a word is
indeed his/her "idea".

I hope my convoluted language hasn't clouded my concern - the
interaction of scientific and ordinary discourses.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Bob Parks

--
*  The best dictionary and integrated thesaurus on the web:
http://www.wordsmyth.net