[Corpora-List] Boot Camp (Continued...)

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 19 09:52:11 UTC 2008

Yorick says "what I have never seen able to see is what corpus
linguistics (in the sense in which the phrase is owned by the main
contributors to this debate) is FOR, except the production of better
dictionaries"

As far as I am aware one of the largest communities interested in
consuming the fruits of corpus linguistics (whether you're talking about
corpora or the methods attached to them) is that of people engaged in
the humdrum but utterly mysterious business of language teaching and
translation.

Sadly, none of that community seems to have seen fit (yet) to contribute
to the present discussion. But I think if they did they might suggest
that corpus linguistics is very definitely "for" those wanting to ground
their pedagogic practice in language as experienced, rather than
language as theorized (which is of course experience too, but not quite
the same order).

Lou