[Corpora-List] Boot Camp (Continued...)

Christopher Tribble ctribble at clara.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 15:29:42 UTC 2008

Yorick - if I understand you correctly, I'm not sure that I agree with your
account of what is currently going on in some areas of applied corpus
linguistics.  Two examples of current work might be work in the typification
of texts on the basis of lexical bundles (c.f. Biber, D.  (2006)  University
language: a corpus-based study of spoken and written registers,
Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins, or Scott, M. and C.Tribble (2006)
Textual Patterns: Key words and corpus analysis in language education,
Amsterdam/Philadelphia John Benjamins).

Although in some of the areas where I work small "visible" corpora are often
very useful,  a long time ago (Tribble, C. and G.Jones,  (1990) Concordances
in the Classroom, Harlow: Longman) I discussed how corpus tools can "make
the invisible visible". Since then I am strongly aware of how I have been
standing on the shoulders of colleagues who have been redefining my
understanding of language through studies of very large data sets.  Yes, in
part of my work I draw on insights from Swales' work in genre analysis or
the pioneering critical studies such as Fowler, R., (1991) Language in the
news, London: Routledge, and from the kinds of simple counting that Halliday
recommended as far back 1973 in his seminal study of Golding's "The
Inheritors" (Halliday, M.A.K., (1973) Explorations in the Functions of
Language, London: Edward Arnold).  But I also know that an awful lot of the
valuable insights about the content of what needs to be taught which have
emerged in the last 20 years have arisen from work on very large corpora
that not humanly viewable.

Gosh - that's got that off my chest anyway.  What an intersting discussion
this is proving to be!

Best

Chris
--