[Corpora-List] Quantitive Corpus Linguistics

J Washtell lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 20:06:11 UTC 2008

Bill,

I wholeheartedly agree that consulting the philosophers is a good idea
- up there with introspection :-) I further agree that the real test
of the intuitions acquired thusly will be to look at the real-world
evidence.

I find it a bit optimistic (given my own intuitions of course. But I
should say that I do not find it beyond the realms of possibility)
that the evidence necessary to solve all of our linguistic and
(unavoidably?!) cognitive-linguistic ponderings is to be found in the
text (not in the brain, say, or in the extra-corporal context). I find
it even more optimistic that collocation (or co-anything) is the sole
relevant dimensions of that text.

I expect I am misunderstanding you; probably because I am not very well read.

Perhaps you could explain what your attached concordances illustrate?
It is not obvious to me.

Justin Washtell
University of Leeds

If this were the case, we wouldn't need to invoke human judgements in
our evaluation.