[Corpora-List] Quantitive Corpus Linguistics

Serge Sharoff S.Sharoff at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 18:10:18 UTC 2008

This is getting very close to my favourite topic: Edmund Husserl and his theory of meaning.  Unlike Leibniz and Kant mentioned by Dom, Husserl does occupy the middle ground between empiricism and mentalism.  On the one hand his slogan "To the things themselves" called for a quite empirical research programme in 'cognitive science' of the beginning of the 20th century.  On the other hand, by 1920 it turned into a programme of intersubjective mentalism: meanings exist as long as there are people ready to acquire and reproduce them.  According to Husserl, meanings are neither objective, as there is no Platonic realm of 'naked ideas', nor subjective, as you can't keep your own private version of the Pythagoras' theorem or even of the word 'table' (another 'private language' argument invented before Wittgenstein).

Husserl's ideas relevant to semantics concern meaning constitution: a sign is endowed with a meaning in correlation with the current state of the life-world of the person interpreting it.  His second interesting idea, again relevant in our context, is that of time-consciousness: anticipation, constitution and sedimentation of mental images in the stream of interpretation.

Another philosopher to be mentined in this context is Peirce, but, obviously, John Sowa can say more about the relevance of his contribution.

The usual problem I found with putting philosophical ideas into our current research concerns their abstract nature.  Some sort of dynamic interpretation of source texts is quite common in computational linguistics, see Yorick's work on preference semantics.  Some sort of time-consciousness is relevant to linear parsing and memoization techniques.  The crucial question is whether we can get from philoshophical ideas anything useful apart from metaphors.  For instance, it follows from Husserl that we acquire our life-world via interaction with the real world and society.  For linguistics, this means that a corpus is the ultimate source for acquiring ontologies and lexicons. So what?  We didn't know this?  And the mechanisms we use to get a semantic lexicon from this ultimate source (e.g., distributional semantics) are  very different from the ideas put forward by Husserl.

My puzzled 2p about the power of philoshophy,
Serge