[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics withR'--re Louw's endorsement

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Fri Aug 29 10:35:07 UTC 2008

Dear James

I have been following the discussions with great interest, and noting various references en route - so Yorick's 1996 paper is now on my list...

However, although I haven't yet read his paper, I must insert a point of information/correction at this point.
You said in your email:
(Of course, if I remember correctly,you started with the COBUILD dictionary, where the compilers had started out with a limited (?2000 word) vocabulary from which to construct definitions. Maybe you got it down to 1990 or so  ;-)> .)

I think your memory has let you down in this instance. Perhaps you meant a different learner's dictionary (eg LDOCE?).
As far as I am aware, the COBUILD dictionary did NOT start out with a limited defining vocabulary, and indeed has never adopted one.
What we did do (in the Essential Dictionary, 1988, I think) was to publish the list of words that occurred more than 10 times in the dictionary explanations (definitions).
This was done after compiling the dictionary and not before.

Best
Ramesh

Ramesh Krishnamurthy [COBUILD 1984-1997, 1998-2003]
Lecturer in English Studies, School of Languages and Social Sciences,
Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET, UK
Tel: +44 (0)121-204-3812 ; Fax: +44 (0)121-204-3766 [Room NX08, 10th
Floor, North Wing of Main Building]
http://www.aston.ac.uk/lss/school/staff/krishnamurthyr.jsp
Director, ACORN (Aston Corpus Network project): http://acorn.aston.ac.uk/