[Corpora-List] Bootcamp: 'Quantitative Corpus Linguistics withR'--re Louw's endorsement

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Aug 29 13:22:56 UTC 2008

Wolfgang Teubert wrote:
 > So far, though, no language mechanism has ever been discovered, even
 > though uncountable models have been invented. There also seems to be,
 > particularly when it comes to meaning, a certain scarcity of 'brute
 > facts'.

My favorite brute fact (associated at least with syntax and morphology--
I'll make no claims about semantics) is that every child, even those
with mild retardation, learns a language without being taught.  Contrast
this with the learning of math or science or history, where even with
years of intensive teaching, not everyone learns it.  (And contrast it
also with the analysis of languages by smart linguists; languages are
not simple.)  Language is clearly different, and the only reasonable
explanation I've ever heard is that we have a built-in mechanism for
learning it, a mechanism which is different from whatever we use for
learning math, science or history.

Do we know what that mechanism is?  No.  But that's true of lots of
things in science.  It took decades between the discovery of the general
principles of heredity and the discovery of the mechanism (DNA etc.).
But no one in the intervening years suggested that there wasn't any
mechanism.  (Well, maybe Lysenko...)
--
    Mike Maxwell
    "We signify something too narrow when we say: