[Corpora-List] Google ngram corpus: problem with won't

James L. Fidelholtz fidelholtz at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 14:56:51 UTC 2008

Well, I don't have *the* solution to your problem necessarily, but I have
noticed that Google definitely tends to disregard punctuation (*not*
spaces), and so would probably treat A.M. and a.m. and a.m and am. and am
all as the same, for example (you can also notice this in responses to
certain queries). On the other hand, your query and your examples do not
jibe, insofar as you give "won't" with 37K responses, but "wont" with 3.7M
'wont' would hardly occur that many times, even in Google's 9.8 gazillion
pages (I don't have much familiarity with the ngram corpus, but I assume it
is derived from the normal Google 'corpus'). More to the point, from your
very query, one wouldn't expect *any* responses in your corpus to "won't".

Jim

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Alex Clark <alexc at cs.rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> I have noticed that there seems to a problem with the
> treatment of "won't" in the Google ngram corpus. We would expect it to
> occur about 100 million times, but it seems to have disappeared or be
> tokenized in a non-standard way. We would expect it to appear in the Penn
> style as "wo" + "n't"
>
> As a unigram we get
>
> won't   37251
> wont 3677346
> wo      1226869
>
> in the bigrams we get things like
>
> I 'm    188587483
>
> but nothing that I can find that corresponds to "won't".
>
> Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> regards
>
> Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Clark     alexc at cs.rhul.ac.uk
> http://www.cs.rhul.ac.uk/home/alexc/
> Lecturer, Department of Computer Science,
> Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham, Surrey TW20 0EX
> Direct 01784 443430 Department 01784 434455 Fax 01784 439786

James L. Fidelholtz
Posgrado en Ciencias del Lenguaje
Instituto de Ciencias Sociales y
Humanidades