[Corpora-List] L2 Learner Corpora

Xiaotian Guo garlickfred at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 23:50:34 UTC 2008

Hi, Mieke

Did you know CLEC, a written English corpus by Chinese students of different
levels? Search queries can be made online at
http://www.clal.org.cn/corpus/EngSearchEngine.aspx. But if you wish to have
the whole corpus, you may purchase a book which has a CD disk attached to
its back cover.

Gui S. and Yang H. 2002. Chinese Learner English Corpus. Shanghai: Shanghai
Foreign Languages Education Press.

There is another written corpus consisting Chinese students' written English
called WECCL (maybe named differently now). You may like to contact
Professor WEN Qiufang or Dr. LIANG Maocheng for its availability. I am sure
there are many more learner corpora in China now, either written or spoken.
When you contact these two professionals, you might get more information
from them. They are working in The National Research Centre for Foreign
Language Education in Beijing (http://www.sinotefl.ac.cn/english.asp).

Also in 2006, I completed a PhD thesis in learner English under Professor
Susan Hunston in Birmingham. Part of Chapter Two reviews learner corpora of
that time. Though a bit out of date, you might find some information useful.
Most importantly, you may find some clues which will direct you to find many
other learner corpora there, I believe. The thesis has been published by
Linguistics Journal and is freely downloadable now at
http://www.linguistics-journal.com/thesis.php.

Hope this is useful.

Best wishes,

Dr. Xiaotian Guo