[Corpora-List] portability studies?

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Thu Jul 3 17:03:00 UTC 2008

Taras,

the prior question is: "how close is one domain or genre is to another".
(Presumably, porting costs vary with distance between domains/genres, so an
account of porting costs without an account of text type similarity tells us
nothing.)

But it's not a question that has had much scientific exploration.  Only
viable approach I know of is based on comparing corpus frequencies of words
or other constructs - see eg contrastive accounts of web corpora in recent
work by Sharoff, Ferraresi and others

Adam

Sharoff, S (2006) Creating general-purpose corpora using automated search
engine queries.<http://corpus.leeds.ac.uk/serge/publications/wacky-paper.pdf>In
M. Baroni, S. Bernardini (eds.)
*WaCky! Working papers on the Web as Corpus*, Bologna, 2006.
A. Ferraresi, E. Zanchetta, M. Baroni and S. Bernardini. 2008. Introducing
and evaluating ukWaC, a very large Web-derived corpus of
English<http://clic.cimec.unitn.it/marco/publications/lrec2008/lrec08-ukwac.pdf>.
In Proceedings of the WAC4 Workshop at LREC 2008.

Adam Kilgarriff http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk
Lexical Computing Ltd http://www.sketchengine.co.uk
Lexicography MasterClass Ltd http://www.lexmasterclass.com
Universities of Leeds and Sussex adam at lexmasterclass.com