[Corpora-List] Introspective help

Costas Gabrielatos c.gabrielatos at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 11:57:48 UTC 2008

Dear All

I'd be grateful if you could respond with your introspective judgements on
the function of two sentences (unfortunately, the context, or more co-text,
is not available):

(1) If they want others to do it, I'll advise against their having children.

(2) If they want others to do it, I'd advise against their having children.

Please select one of the following:

A. Both sentences function as advice
B. Only sentence (1) functions as advice
C. Only sentence (2) functions as advice
D. Neither sentence functions as advice
E. I cannot tell out of context

Could you also clarify if you would describe yourself as a native speaker or
non-native speaker of English?

Of course, any other comments are more than welcome.

Please respond directly to me (c.gabrielatos at lancaster.ac.uk) - I will post
a summary when I've collated all responses.

Thank you

Costas Gabrielatos