[Corpora-List] number and dates normalization

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Thu Jul 24 20:05:08 UTC 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Shachar Mirkin <mirkins at macs.biu.ac.il> wrote:

> I'm looking for an available package (preferably Java) for numbers and dates
> normalization, that given "fifteen hundred" will return "1500" and given
> "January, 23 1987" will return a date in some predefined schema, e.g.
> "23/1/87".
>
> Anyone knows of such a tool?

The POSIX (UNIX) date filter does much of that. Not sure about your
"fifteen hundred" but it'll do other conversions for you. Grab the FSF
shellutils (or is it texttools) package and you're done. Set you LC_LOCALE
and it'll probably deal with I18N stuff for you. Just not written in Java.
If you have access to UNIX box (Linux, Mac OS X, AIX, SunOS, etc) kick off
either Xman or a terminal window and look at the man page for date.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!