[Corpora-List] a tool for canonization of numbers, dates etc.

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Tue Jul 29 12:04:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Roy Bar-Haim <barhair at macs.biu.ac.il> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a free tool for canonization of dates (July 23,
> 2008/23-Jul-08...), numbers ("ten"/10) etc.?

I suggested to your colleague (Shachar Mirkin) last week that the UNIX
date program does much of what you want, including localisation to
non-English. The FSF (GNU) version being open source has source available
that can be modified for additional features you need. But it isn't in
Java.

If you're using a UNIX-based system (Linux, Mac OS X, AIX, SunOs) then
you'll have this utility pre-installed though you should check the man
page for specific features. The FSF/GNU web site at http://www.fsf.org/ is
the place to start. Drill down to their FSF software directory and then
look for shellutils (date is part of that collection).

If you're using Windows then you may want to install the Cygwin package so
you can compile/install the software in that environment. Cygwin is, I
believe, at http://www.cygwin.org/ and then follow the link for cygwin.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!