[Corpora-List] Charles Sanders Peirce, "On a New List of Categories"

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at att.net
Thu Jul 31 13:32:54 UTC 2008

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

Rich,

The material on Peirce in Wikipedia is a mess --
speaking as one of several foolhardy Peirceans
who "died on the hill, or their swords, etc."
trying to "fix it", all to no avail.

Best to get the 2 volume "Essential Peirce" for starters,
and check out the articles at Joseph Ransdell's "Arisbe":

http://www.cspeirce.com/

The first thing to know about Peirce's Categories
is that he also called them "Predicaments", after
a clssical-medieval usage that means a predicate
of a predicate.  In terms of the extensions of
concepts this means that a Category is really
a class of relations.

Cheers,

Jon

CC: Arisbe List, Inquiry List

corpora-request at uib.no wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    5.  [Peirce's] ON A NEW LIST OF CATEGORIES (Rich Cooper)
>    9.  [Peirce's] ON A NEW LIST OF CATEGORIES (Gill Philip)

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:06:03 -0700
> From: "Rich Cooper" <rich_AT_Englishlogickernel.com>
> Subject: [Corpora-List] Pierce's ON A NEW LIST OF CATEGORIES
> To: <corpora_AT_uib.no>

> I've been trying to read Pierce's "On a New List of Categories" at
>
> http://www.cspeirce.com/menu/library/bycsp/newlist/nl-frame.htm
>
> The problem is that it is highly populated with arcane terms that have
> little or no meaning to my 2008 experience.  Does anyone have a more modern
> version, perhaps a rephrasing of the same material?  This is the part about
> Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness, and all the ancillary materials in the
> following matrix from
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Peirce#Theory_of_categories
>
> Peirce's Categories (technical name: the cenopythagorean categories[21]
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Peirce#cite_note-cenopythagorean-20#cite_note-cenopythagorean-20> )
>
> Name:
>
> Typical characterizaton:
>
> As universe of experience:
>
> As quantity:
>
> Technical definition:
>
> Valence, "adicity":
>
> Firstness.
>
> Quality of feeling.
>
> Ideas, chance, possibility.
>
> Vagueness, "some".
>
> Reference to a ground (a ground is a pure abstraction of a quality)[22]
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Peirce#cite_note-ground-21#cite_note-g
> round-21> .
>
> Essentially monadic (the quale, in the sense of the thing with the quality).
>
> Secondness.
>
> Reaction, resistance, (dyadic) relation.
>
> Brute facts, actuality.
>
> Singularity, discreteness.
>
> Reference to a correlate (by its relate).
>
> Essentially dyadic (the relate and the correlate).
>
> Thirdness.
>
> Representation.
>
> Habits, laws, necessity.
>
> Generality, continuity.
>
> Reference to an interpretant*.
>
> Essentially triadic (sign, object, interpretant*).
>
> From hearing previous discussions about Pierce, this seems to be the kernel
> concept of his works.  So it would be useful to know what he means in these
> areas.
>
> Alternative URLs appreciated,
>
> -Rich
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Rich Cooper
>
> EnglishLogicKernel.com

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:49:28 +0200
> From: "Gill Philip" <g.philip.polidoro_AT_gmail.com>
> Subject: [Corpora-List] Pierce's ON A NEW LIST OF CATEGORIES
> To: "Rich Cooper" <rich_AT_englishlogickernel.com>
> Cc: corpora_AT_uib.no

> [...]

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o
inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
knol: http://knol.google.com/k/-/-/3fkwvf69kridz/1
mathweb: http://www.mathweb.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey