[Corpora-List] References combining GG and corpus evidence

Antti Arppe antti.arppe at helsinki.fi
Mon Mar 3 18:47:29 UTC 2008

Marco,

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, corpora-request at uib.no wrote:
> From: Marco Baroni <marco.baroni_AT_unitn.it>
> Subject: [Corpora-List] bibliographic request: corpora in "mainstream"
>
> Is anybody on the list aware of studies that used corpus-based
> evidence while adopting, as theoretical framework, what I will call,
> for lack of a better name, the "mainstream Chomskyan tradition"
> (Chomsky's minimalism, Cinque's cartographic approoach, etc.)?

Well, if you understand generativism in general as Chomskyan, maybe
some of the studies presented in the proceedings of the Int'l
Conference on Linguistic Evidence might be what you're looking for (as
its published in the Studies in Generative Grammar series). In my
mind, at least Sam Featherston's study explicitly compares
corpus-based evidence with judgemental data (of which experimental
judgment data would appear to be his method of choice), and my
understanding is that he identifies with generativism. Some of the
other studies in the same volume may also fit your requirements.

Kepser, Stephan and Marga Reis (Editors). 2005. Linguistic Evidence.
Empirical, Theoretical and Computational Perspectives. Studies in
Generative Grammar 85. Mouton de Gruyter, Berlin/New York,
Germany/United States.

Featherston, Sam. 2005. The Decathlon Model. In Kepser and Reis 2005,
pp. 187-208.

I Hope this is of some assistance, -Antti