[Corpora-List] What is best for text processing Perl of Python?

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Wed Mar 5 17:32:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu <maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:

> Chris Jordan wrote:
> > 2 - RSPerl (http://www.omegahat.org/RSPerl/) - This is a Perl
> > interface to R and S.
>
> I have never used R or S, ...

R is a great open source statistics package. Implements the language of S
but with some slight differences (mostly to do with scope of variables).
As I mentioned in an earlier email to the list there are now a few books
on using R in linguistics/corpus studies, viz Baayen's "Analyzing
Linguistic Data" published last week by Cambridge University Press and
Gries' "Quantitative Corpus Linguistics with R"  supposedly published by
Routledge next week. A pre-print of Baayen can be found on the net; the
printed CUP edition has fewer errors.

> ... but it appears that the Python equivalent is
> RSPython, by the same folks that bring you RSPerl:
>    http://www.omegahat.org/RSPython/index.html

The S language is a derivative of Scheme but with conventional programming
language syntax so anything that can be done in perl, python, ruby, C,
Snobol4, etc etc can also be done in S. Like those languages R is open
source with versions for UNIX (including Linux, *BSD, and Mac OS X), and
for Windoze.

For some people the S language (in either R or S dialects) may prove to be
sufficient. For example, I think that many of the requirements of list
subscriber "True Friend" can be satisfied by using R with no necessity for
any other programming language.

If one doesn't already know perl, python, ruby, etc it might be that R and
S are sufficient for one's needs. Why bother adding more complication.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!