[Corpora-List] adapting LaTeX bst files

Ron Artstein artstein at essex.ac.uk
Tue Mar 11 17:17:45 UTC 2008

> I want to achieve that in the running article text, more than 3
> authors are abbreviated as "xxx et al". Therefore, I need to
> adapt the function format.names in the bst file. But if I add
> such a function to my bst file (there was none), I get the error
> message:
>
> format.names is already a type "wizard-defined" function name

It's hard to provide help without knowing which bst file you're
starting from, since function names may differ among styles. I once
had to provide this functionality for a bst file that emulates the
style of Computational Linguistics:

http://ron.artstein.org/resources/compling.bst

If your original bst file was generated with Patrick Daly's
custom-bib package, then you may be able to just lift the function
format.lab.names from my file. Otherwise this function probably
won't work verbatim, but it could give you ideas. Finally, it may
be simplest to recreate the style file you need with custom-bib,
the package now has the option to specify the number of authors
before "et al" (too bad this option didn't exist when I created
compling.bst -- it would have saved me work and it's probably
better implemented than my hack).

-Ron.